Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Magazine Annex

So... today I turned in a journal for my color theory class which all of you probably wouldn't even need to have been assigned, and would have already had it completed. Our assignment was to fill a 3" binder, till fear of busting, with photos of interiors that we loved and to basically put in an index (we also had to do research on specific painters and color theorists but that accounted for maybe 20% of the binders actual content). This was an easy task for me in that I had untold resources, you see friends, I have a condition, I hoard magazines. I even have a room for only magazines (well a storage closet that is 5'X5'), a magazine annex. It is out of control there are neatly organized, categorized filled shelves but to the floor spills mayhem and chaos, a veritable riot of periodicals...and they have begun to take over the guest bedroom closets also. I just can't seem to part with them. So the difficulty for me in this assignment was having to actually cut out of the magazine (HORROR!!!). I tried to explain to my classmates why this was such a bad thing, ("but how will you source things later?") but they didn't seem to relate. So what do you do? Do you cut out your inspiration photos-or- are you a periodical piler?

2 comments:

real life said...

I started a cut-out album from my fashion/interior mags several years ago...

The journal/album is STILL an amazing piece of inspiration...it takes time, but does cut down the clutter....or lack of revisiting entire mags because of time.

I would gather my scissors, glue, and magazines and sit in front of the the television (when I have those times) and do both.

WELL WORTH IT : ) Then you have this amazing collection of stuff that is artistically collaged minus ads and nonsense.

Style Court said...

This turned into a big post with many comments for me last year :)

I have notebooks, with tear sheets, organized by designer mainly but also by style.