Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Well-scripted scents...

For the book-addicted out there, a lovely new reference(?) book has just hit the shelves. Perfumes: The Guide, by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez, is an in depth chronicling of over 1200 different fragrances. The scientist and perfume critic (respectively) give the reader a description for each fragrance, offering historical anecdote, the notes contained in the fragrance, and finally a review. The introduction reads somewhat like a beginner’s guide to fragrance F.A.Q, answering burning questions like the difference between eau de toilette and eau de parfum, when does a perfume expire, perfume seasonality etc. However, even if you are a self-styled fragrance expert I’m sure you will find something interesting that you did not know before. Big bonus points, this book has a delicious and snarky sense of humour at points.
Lalique Anemone Perfume Bottle, available through Vivre

This book would be a great gift for the avid perfume collector or even for someone interested in beauty and style (Early reminder, Mother’s Day is May 11). Perhaps you could package a lovely perfume bottle with it or a favorite fragrance. My personal fragrance suggestions are:
For Ladies:
Burberry Touch For Men- I know this is a men’s fragrance but every time I wear it both men and women almost immediately compliment me. Likewise it smells absolutely fabulous on both.
Creed Virgin Island Water- This is an excellent for summer. To often I find that limited edition summer scents smell like a variant of either sunscreen or one of those fruity tropical drinks served in a gigantic glass with umbrellas and whatnot. This smells exactly like its name, crisp, cool and tropical. It is such a beautiful smell.
Narciso Rodriquez For Her: I love this smell, and apparently so does everyone else because almost every time I try to purchase this it is sold out ( I guess we are all running out at the same time). This fragrance is for sexy nights out. Wear with caution, it also garners "compliments," of the unsolicited amorous variety.

For Men:
Creed Green Irish Tweed- This is what a man should smell like. Period.

2 comments:

Anna Spiro said...

Hi Mackenna, thanks for your comment on my blog!
Kindest regards,
Anna
Absolutely Beautiful Things

GrannySmithGreen said...

Green Irish Tweed---your comments, I can't agree with you any more! I LOVE IT!!!