Sunday, April 27, 2008

The "New" Jackie?





Dressed by the French House of Dior, by English designer John Galliano, Bruni-Sarkozy is femenine, polished and quietly sexy in well-tailored conservative ensembles.


So, anytime someone hails something as "The New" whatever,( e.g "Orange is the new black!") I am skeptical. When France's presidential couple, Nicolas and Carla-Bruni Sarkozy made their way to London several weeks ago to forge friendships and gain the hearts of the English people, the newly anointed Mrs. Sarkozy garnered just such a label for her stylish Dior ensembles; "The New Jackie." For those unfamiliar with Carla Bruni she is a former supermodel and most recently had turned singer-songwriter to some success (yes, I have her CDs). I personally think she is a stunning beauty, obviously since the modeling background, and a talented singer, but it is difficult for me to make the jump that she is the NEW Jackie. I mean, the same week that she was in London they were auctioning off nude photo's of her at Christie's. What page of "What Would Jackie Do?" is that on? Headlines read, "Carla Bruni, French President Nicolas Sarkozy's Wife, Channels Jackie Onassis During State Visit To Britain"; and my personal favorite "Carla gets a make-O-ver." Fashion wise I have to agree she is light years ahead of any woman in the American political landscape, however, wasn't Jackie more than just a fashion plate? Jacqueline Kennedy is for most a beloved icon that continues to inspire women of all ages not only because of her classic looks and good taste, but she also continues to inspire by her attitude and actions. I am anxious to see how the Bruni's public persona as the First Lady of France develops. I really hope she does disprove my skepticism and turn out to be just as poised, elegant, graceful and benevolent as Jackie. The world could use a return to style and grace.


For comparison....

3 comments:

Jen said...

I agree I'm a little skeptical too. I've heard that Obama's wife is the new Jackie too. Who else???

Vie Chaotique said...

I don't know why we have to have a new Jackie.

I have nothing against Carla but I doubt Jackie would have had an affair with Mick Jagger especially while he was married. The major thing Jackie had was class, which along with our natural resources is in short supply these days.

I think Carla is a beauty and although the outfit is Dior she's looking dowdy and as if she is playing at dressup/

Elaine B Inc said...

I think everyone is trying the Jackie for fit. You can`t reinvent that style, Only revive it.