Friday, April 13, 2007

Apartment Living

Ahh, gotta love living in a city where the average home price is above half a million. It really allows for a mediocrity in apartments and homes that is unrivaled. So this is what I'm starting out with folks. Near future plans in the Bedroom include: Window treatments, replacing our cheap just-until-the-dog-sleeps-on-his-own-bed-duvet and linens with the nice ones packed in the linen closet, using my husbands ratty dresser as firewood and replacing it with a beautiful mirrored one, possibly upholstering the walls in a non-permanent way.
Near future plans in the bathroom: Paint, constructing a shade to go over the Hollywood trailer lighting, framing out the gigronomous mirror, added artwork, and perhaps seagrass or jute to cover the icky poo linoleum. What I am going for is kind of a James Bond feeling in the bathroom. Read: English & Exotic; not Kitschy or Themey.
If you have any genius ideas that spring to mind when you see my forlorn apartment let me know!

3 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

The "bones" of your bathroom are not bad at all. I think if you paint the walls and add some larger artwork/photos on the wall opposite the sink, that would look great. The English/Exotic look sounds fab. I love your John Derian pieces in the bedroom, and the blue upholstered Louis chair. Have you thought about getting a higher, upholstered headboard to take up some space on that wall?

Mackenna said...

Oh I am soooo loving that you thought those were John Derian I found them at this little florist/girft shop they are melamine or plastic and cost 14$. When I saw them I thought the same thing though and was really jazzed about them being 1)super cheap 2) practically un-breakable.
As far as the bed goes I may forgo the box springs under the mattress to show more of the head board. but I don't know where we would keep it and then I don't know if I would regret chucking it all together. Once we move to a two bedroom I plan on moving that bed into what will be the nursery/guest room (whichever comes first) and getting a wispy canopy bed for us ( like the italian campaign one at anthro).
And thanks for the advice :). I will update as it evolves.

The Peak of Chic said...

Very smart about the bed! Please keep us updated b/c I know it will look great. And good job on the "John Derian-esque" pieces!