Monday, March 19, 2007

Adventures in DIY

When my Husband and I first moved into our apartment my dog, now our dog, decided that he would sleep on the bed in our room. Initially I didn't really have a problem with this. However, after destroying two duvets (comparatively not so bad, he devoured my Mother's sofa the first month I had him) I had a change of heart. The little pooch needed a bed of his own. So I set out to find one to my liking. Alas, there were none to be found. Then while I was thumbing through the March Elle Decor I noticed in Michael S. Smith's bedroom, his labradoodle had a bed made of fabric that coordinated to Michael's own bed. It occurred to me, "why don't I make the dog bed?" Never mind that I had only sewn once in my life (it was a pot holder, and not a single seam was straight). What I did have was a lot of time on my hands and a ridiculously patient Mother-in-law with a sewing machine. So I set out on the search for fabric. While Michael opted to use his own Indian Flower hemp, his dogs look like they are well behaved and mannerly, I chose a stain-resistant, heavy, durable outdoor material to stand up to my mischievous pup. I liked this fabric because it reminded me of a cabana. So here is my first foray into sewing ever, and I think it turned out pretty well. I'm really glad I used the black piping. I think it really pops next to the turquoise stripes. Hopefully it last longer than the duvets.

4 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

Is that a ridgeback? i used to have one called Jambo.

Mackenna said...

he is indeed a ridgeback. i keep trying to convince my husband to get a whole pack of ridgebacks rather than have children

Style Court said...

Love the black piping with turquoise. You did such a good job. Kudos!

Also, I loved that image of Michael Smith's labradoodle on the dog bed made of Jasper collection fabric!!

Mackenna said...

Thanks! I think it came out pretty well, but just in case I made sure not to photograph it up close :).

OMG I know even his dogs look stylish! It's sickening really (but in a good way).