Monday, March 12, 2007

Maiden Voyage


This my first blog post, so it is kind of exciting in that new things type way. In this first post I'm going to cover some things that have really started to bother me, and maybe some of you out there can comiserate.

Things that are horrible/must be stopped:

1. Now that I am married and stay at home I am worried that my taste in things will begin to deteriorate and that if asked what my ideal "style" is I would say "French country," or even worse, "something from like...Tuscany?" If I see one more DIY show that chokes some housewife's living room with eighty shades of yellow and blue I'm going to wretch. Or better yet faux plaster/stucco etc. Can we see some real French country by way of aix en Provence? I want to see laid back, well-edited, elegant rooms not yellow damask ruffles.

2. Guests using books (expensive and otherwise) as beverage coasters. Who started this, and when did it become acceptable for you to put your soda on my 200$ book?

3. A certain bespectacled individual on Top Design. Unnecessarily rude to others, and nothing to back it up with.

4. Ridiculously sub-par housing options on the west coast. Seriously I don't mind doing some work and renovating, in fact I welcome the challenge. However in my search for a home/condo (who can afford an actual house out here?) I have seen more than a dozen houses with mint green carpet. What is that about? You know, it isn't just in a single room either; it is in every room of the house. Is this a California thing I didn't get the memo on?

5. Figurines. (E.g.; Sad clowns, precious moments, etc.)

6. Roommates who use your flat whisk to mash potatoes

4 comments:

suzannemarques said...

sometimes i think hdtv stands 4 horrible design television! the only show i can stand anymore for design inspiration on regular cable is divine design.. i've learned so much about lighting from that show.
anyhoo... good luck with the housing search... you'll eventually find your jewel! & congrats on your new blog!
~Suzanne

Style Court said...

Totally agree with number 3 here! And your description of HGTV is priceless.

I can tell your blog is going to be great. Looking forward to more posts.
Cheers,
Courtney

Pigtown*Design said...

Welcome to blogland! It's loads of fun!

Unknown said...

Yes, bespectacled fellow is a mighty bit big for his britches. Someone needs to tell him that at 23 pretention just looks silly. I gave up on HGTV as well. I can't stand faux paint finishes and just got tired of that whole "Tuscany" thing. I've never seen an interior in Tuscany that resembled these. Yes, books for the table in just unacceptable - one spill and *poof* it's gone!