Thursday, March 15, 2007

Coffee Talk

What girl doesn't love a good makeover? I think it is probably in our chemical composition to absolutely loooove makeovers. Make overs for people, pets, homes, whatever. If there are before and after pictures count me in! Since I spend a lot of time at home, correction: all my time at home, I get to watch a lot of television programming. Naturally I am drawn to ones that focus on interior design and you know, I'm feeling a little underwhelmed (this includes the much anticipated Top Design). Sometimes I see the "exciting" after and I actually say to the screen, "That's the after? Blah." But like any bad habit, I can't stop. These design shows have made me wonder two things and I would love to know your opinions on them;

1) Is it worse to have bad taste or no taste at all (for definition purposes we will say that people with bad taste seek out icky things while people with no taste don't really have a preference)?

2) If you did have only $1000 to spend on a room what would you spend the money on to make the most dramatic change?

In the words of Linda Richman, "Discuss."

6 comments:

Style Court said...

Wow, two really hard questions. I'm thinking that at least people with so called "bad taste" are passionate about what they select and probably enjoy their homes. However, for a decorator it might be easiier to deal with a client who has no strong preferences.

As for the money, it's hard to say without knowing what a person has to work with. If there is an existing sofa with okay lines, I'd probably spend the money on new upholstery to set the tone for the room.

Pigtown*Design said...

1) Bad taste could possibly be campy or swung around to neutral taste. No taste is harder because the person has no internal sense of good/bad.

2) My house is pretty good right now, basically because I started from nothing when I moved back from the UK exactly a year ago today. I had to furnish the house from scratch, so could pick and choose what I wanted. I had a budget, but everything's the way I want.

Unknown said...

Definitely better to have bad taste - as they say on Top Design - at least she had a point of view!

For $1000 I would buy paint, a large canvas and some amaaaaazing fabric to cover it, hang it on the wall. Then get some flea market furniture and repaint/varnish it. A flokati rug because they are reasonable and maybe some cool Ebay or Etsy art/prints. For $1000 you can do some cools stuff (if you have a point of view, that is!)

Mackenna said...

Court: I guess assuming they had a couple pieces of furniture because everyone on these shows seems have at least a sofa and a side chair. Even so $1000 seems a touch unrealistic. However, I think a really constrained budget is a great way to force people to edit their rooms though. I think maybe when people have a great big budget they sometimes forget how to do this and just fill the room with random stuff.

Style Court said...

About the sofa, I realize $1000 for upholstery is a squeeze but it is possible. A friend of mine recently reupholstered her grandmother's sofa in a durable apple-green $16 a yard cotton canvas. She was inspired by something she saw at Chapman Radcliff and later she can splurge on expensive pillows or side chairs. So, the cost of labor will vary greatly by region, but if a person spends around $200 - $350 on 10 yards of pretty cotton, that still leaves a nice amount left over for labor.

Mackenna said...

I guess you just have to be a savvy bargain hunter :)